Friday, January 8, 2010

the newest addition to the household




Our brand new oven with a 6 burner range! That's right, I said 6 burners! First things first, I'm going to attempt for the second time this recipe that I found online.

CHOCOLATE SNAPS (using cocoa)
Makes 7 dozen

1 1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup cocoa
1/3 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. soda
4 cups flour

Cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs and beat; add cocoa, milk, and vanilla and beat. Add remaining ingredients and chill.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Form in balls size of walnut and place about 2-inches apart on cookie sheet.
Bake 12 minutes.
_______________________________________

There is some claim that it's an original recipe from Nabisco for Chocolate Snaps. ....It's not. The first time I made these, they came out too soft and chewy and they seriously lacked the chocolatey flavor that I have been craving since Nabisco stopped making these cookies in the late 90's.

I would ask for these cookies if I had a last meal request. Seriously.
I know that the taste of these cookies are very similar to another cookie that Nabisco still makes called "Famous Wafers" and the list of ingredients is pretty much the same...But there's a difference in texture, thickness and crunch. I am going to try to re capture all of these necessary elements by modifying this recipe.. Wish me luck and stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment